We made these jam biscuits and invited some fluffy friends to join us for a tea party! It was a beautiful day for it, too. I usually use whatever jam I have in the fridge for these.
Time needed: 35 minutes for preparation, 25 minutes for cooking (per tray), plus cooling time
Ingredients: (makes 30)
185g butter, chopped
1t vanilla extract
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
2 egg yolks
½ cup (60g) almond meal
1½ cups (225g) plain flour
½t baking powder
2T apricot jam (or any type of jam)
2T raspberry jam (or any type of jam)
1t grated lemon rind
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Beat butter, vanilla extract, sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until just combined.
3. Stir in almond meal, flour and baking powder. Mix well.
4. Roll level tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place them about 5cm apart on ungreased oven trays.
5. Using the handle of a lightly floured wooden spoon, press a hollow into each ball about 1cm deep and 1.5cm wide.
6. Combine apricot jam with half the lemon rind and raspberry jam with the
remaining rind. Carefully spoon a little apricot jam mixture into half the biscuits and raspberry jam mixture into remaining biscuits.
6. Bake each tray of biscuits in oven for about 25 minutes or until cookies are browned lightly. Cool on trays. If the jam sinks during cooking, top up with a little extra afterwards.
Tips: These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks – perfect to have handy when your monkeys need a treat!