We make homemade pizzas often and my monkeys love getting involved in kneading the dough. This recipe was in our Dinosaur Box and we have included options to turn these pizzas into carnivore or herbivore pizzas – or why not turn them into a combination of the two – omnivore pizzas! They are fairly easy to make and the results are delicious and very rewarding.
Time needed: 45 minutes
Learning potential: measuring, kneading, rolling, yeast
3/4 cup warm tap water
2 teaspoons of dried yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine water, yeast, sugar and salt in a jug. Whisk with a fork to dissolve. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
2. Sift flour into a bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Mix to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead (with help from your monkeys!) for 10 minutes or until elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Stand in a warm place for 25 to 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
3. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Get your monkeys to help roll the dough out and place on a tray.
4. Brush the pizza base with olive oil and cook in a 180 degree oven until just brown.
5. Now you can decorate with herbivore or carnivore yummy food; you could even make a claw shape for an extra dinosaur look!
6. Add cheese on top and then cook in the oven.
Herbivore pizza topping ideas:
Carnivore pizza topping ideas: