This is my monkey’s favourite cake! He requested it as his birthday cake and – seeing that it’s full of carrots – I was happy to oblige!
Time needed: 20 minutes for preparation, 1 hour for baking
Ingredients: (serves 12)
Olive oil, to grease
2 (about 300g) carrots
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
½ cup (75g) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (80g) brown sugar
¾ cup (185ml) olive oil
½ cup (125ml) golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
250g spreadable cream cheese
½ cup (80g) icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 170°C or 150°C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm (base measurement) round cake pan lightly with oil, and line with non-stick baking paper. 2. Peel and grate the carrots and set aside. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Put the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a balloon whisk to mix until combined.
- Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 1 hour. Set aside for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined. Spread the icing over the cake.
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au.