If you are looking for a quick and easy recipe to make with your monkeys, this is it! Perfect for afternoon tea. Making meringues teaches them to mix and also how to be patient when adding the sugar – one tablespoon at a time!
Time needed: 15 minutes for preparation, 1½ hours for baking
Learning potential: mixing and patience!
4 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 120°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves.
3. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 minutes. Whisk in the vanilla essence.
4. Use two teaspoons to spoon meringue onto lined trays. Reduce the oven temperature to 90°C.
5. Bake meringues for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to cool completely.
These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week – if they last that long!
Recipe adapted from Taste.com.au.