Aaaarhhh! These Pirate Island Coconut Cupcakes are so good you wouldn’t mind walking the plank for them! It’s a great kids recipe to get little monkeys involved and teach them how to mix, measure, crack eggs and ice the cupcakes. This recipe was included in our June ‘Pirates’ box.
Learning potential: mixing, measuring, egg cracking, icing
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup caster sugar
160ml can coconut milk
3 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
125g butter, melted and cooled
2 cups icing sugar mixture
30g soft butter
1½ tablespoon boiling water
desiccated coconut or flaked coconut, sprinkled on the top
1. Preheat oven to 170°C and line 12 medium muffin tin holes with paper cases.
2. Place flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in coconut and sugar and make a well in the centre.
3. Get your monkeys to use a fork to whisk eggs, coconut milk and lemon zest in a jug. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the butter. Fold together until just combined but don’t mix or beat.
4. Spoon into prepared cases. Bake for 20 mins, or until cooked. Leave in the tin for 5 mins then lift out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. To make the icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and add butter. Pour boiling water onto butter to melt it and stir until smooth. Get your monkeys to spread over each cake, sprinkle with coconut and leave to set. Yum!