TIME NEEDED: 30 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
125 grams of chilled unsalted butter, chopped
1/4 cup of boiling water
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Process the butter, flour, bi-carb soda, ginger, cinnamon and sugar in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. (You can also rub the butter into the sugar if you don’t have a food processor)
- Combine the hot water and golden syrup and stir well. Add to the flour mixture and use a spatula to mix to a soft dough.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of mixture into a ball and place it on a lined baking sheet. Repeat this process for the rest of the mixture. Make sure to leave 5cm of space between each ball so that they can expand.
- Use the base of a drinking glass and flatten the ball into a thick round disc.
- Bake the gingersnaps for 15 minutes, swapping the baking sheets around halfway through cooking. Continue to bake it until golden and delicious.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them on to a wire cooling rack.