I love sewing and my eldest monkey has been desperate to learn so I created this activity for him. His beloved homemade pillow has pride of place in his bed every night and his favourite cuddly toy dog sleeps on it.
This activity is SO easy to do! We used a kids’ needle (which is available from most craft shops) but if you don’t have one you can use a tapestry needle because they’re blunt. We used little sister’s jumper as inspiration for a design but you can use any design or shape your monkeys would like.
Time needed: 20 minutes
Recommended age: 3+
Learning potential: sewing
2 pieces of felt
1. Let your monkeys choose a shape they would like their pillow. It can be square, round or a cloud like we did (and we used little sister’s jumper as inspiration!)
2. Cut the 2 pieces of felt into shape. Decorate with textas.
3. Hole punch all the way around the outside of the shape.
4. Thread the ribbon through the eye of the needle and let your monkeys sew about 3/4 of the way around the shape.
5. Fill the cushion with wadding and continue sewing around the shape.
6. Your little monkey’s cushion is ready – display it with pride on their bed!