This recipe is really monkey-friendly and a great kids recipe. Kids love stirring the dry ingredients and rolling the mixture into balls (or whatever shape they feel like!) using their hands. Leave the melting and boiling water to the adults though!
Time needed: 15 minutes for preparation, 20 minutes for cooking
Ingredients: (to make 36 cookies)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
2t ground cinnamon
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped dried prunes
1/2 cup slivered almonds
125g butter, chopped coarsely
2T golden syrup
1/2t bicarbonate of soda
1T boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 150°C/130°F fan-forced. Grease oven trays and line with baking paper.
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, dried fruit and nuts in large bowl.
3. Melt butter with golden syrup in small saucepan over low heat. Add combined bicarbonate of soda and boiling water. Stir the warm butter mixture into dry ingredients.
4. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls and place them about 5cm apart on oven trays. Flatten slightly.
5. Bake cookies for about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
Enjoy with your little monkeys (and a cup of tea for the adults)!