Plane travel with kids can be fun. Really! The very thought of it fills most parents with dread and anxiety – but what can I do with them? What if they muck-up? What if they don’t sleep?…..what if, what if….but what if they are great?
Our tips are based on ideas that are technology free. We would never say no tech, but that is easy. Kids need variety and just to take a screen or device is not enough so here are 5 easy ideas to make your plane trip with kids fun.
Each of the activities you bring, wrap them up in either wrapping paper or tin foil to make it a surprise. Build the excitement too leading up to your trip, ‘you are going to love what I’ve bought you for the plane!’ New items or ones they have not seen or done before are best. If you don’t want to do something new, then hide it for a month before the trip.
- Activity books are great to have with a pencil case filled with either pencils, markers, high lighters or crayons. From ages 2+ monkeys love to colour in. Older monkeys that can read will love books that include a find a word, spot the difference or drawing. This is a great activity they can do on their own.
- Bring a new game that the kids have not done before. A plane trip can be quality time together and this is a great opportunity to teach them something new. Card games, Guess Who, Snake and Ladders, Drafts or Chess are just a few examples. We suggest getting magnetic board games for travel.
- A craft activity that is easy and fuss free is best. Again, think about what you can teach your child. You can try hand-sewing a shape or animal, take a handful of cheerios or pasta and string to make a necklace or bracelet. These are also great for fine motor skills.
- Rip out some fun pages from a magazine. Take some scissors, glue and blank paper. Create a collage based on which pictures they choose and then write a story about it.
- Take books. They don’t need to be heavy or bulky but kids love to be read to. Young monkeys will love a board book with lots of things you can point out. Animal books are great and you can make the sounds for them to learn. Picture books for kids aged 3-6 years old, small novels for older kids or books with lots of facts are great. Pick a book you love to read too, to make it enjoyable for you both. This is a great way to calm them down before you want them to go to sleep. Even if they have finished on a devise, just read or tell them a story before sleep time.
Safe and happy travelling!