Kids love to paint but I know that parents are apprehensive because of the mess it creates and the cleaning up that’s left to do. Cleaning after painting is inevitable but these are my 5 tips to make painting with kids that little bit easier:
- Do it outside. If you have space, I would always opt to paint outside in the backyard or garden.
- Put newspaper down. This one is simple. Cover every conceivable surface with newspaper. Not only does it protect the surface but it’s also easier when it comes time to clean up – fold up the newspaper and throw it away!
- Use old shirts as paint smocks. I put my old work shirts on my kids before we start painting. They work really well as paint smocks!
- Use an empty egg carton or muffin tin to hold the paint. The egg carton is the easier option as it requires zero washing up!
- Have something nearby for the kids to wash their hands. I always have a bucket full of water nearby for the kids to rinse their hands in before they move away from the painting site! You can also have baby wipes handy. This helps prevent the paint from being transported on little hands!
The most important thing is – have fun!